1

 

Special Events 2013

Meeting

Regular meetings are held at 114 Valleyview Dr., Englewood, OH on the second Wednesday of each month. 7:00 p.m. April - October and 1:00 p.m. November - March.
See Map...

History Center Hours

The History Center is open to the public. Scheduled visiting hours are from 1:00 - 4:00 p.m every Saturday from April through November, weather permitting, and also by appointment. Call 937-832-1858.

Mailing Address:
RTHS
114 Valleyview Drive Englewood, OH 45322

Follow us on Twitter

 

2004-2015
All rights reserved.
Randolph Twp. Historical Society

Events Archive: [2005] [2006] [2007] [2008] [2009] [2010] [2011] [2012]

Events for 2013

UPCOMING MEETINGS & EVENTS

All functions are at the History Center unless otherwise noted.

Meetings on 2nd Wednesdays – NOTE: 1:00 PM Start Time in Dec

OCT 9 – 7:00p             Business Mtg/ Slate of Candidates for 2014 due

NOV 13 – 7:00p          Elections Mtg/ Program by Frank Kelley

DEC 11 – 1:00p           Business Mtg/ Discuss Calendar for 2014

SPECIAL EVENTS

OCT 8 – 1:00p             Self-Guided Tour of the “Great 1913 Flood Exhibit”
                                     at Carillon Park. Drive yourself to the park or be at                                          History Center by 12:20 p.m. to car pool.

NOV 13 – 7:00p          Veterans Day Tribute/ Program by Frank Kelley, 
                                     “My Trip to Washington D. C. aboard Honor Flight”

NOV THRU DEC       "No-Bake Bake Sale" and Annual Giving Campaign (watch for flier)


END-OF-YEAR 2013 ACTIVITIES ROUND UP RTHS

Members Toured Dayton History’s “1913 Dayton Flood” exhibit
on October 8.

Frank S. Kelley, veteran of both W.W.II and the Korean War, shared photos of his trip to see the war memorials in Washington D. C. in November 2012 with Honor Flight of Dayton.

New and deeper parking lots were blacktopped at the History Center on November 14.



“FIFTH ANNIVERSARY GATHERING”
AND ICE CREAM SOCIAL

More than 100 members and guests attended the two-hour event at the RTHS History Center on July 27. The Society is celebrating 15 years in existence and 5 years since purchasing the History Center. Farmer Brown’s Barbershop Quartet provided the entertainment with two performances of songs, jokes, and stories. Mill Ridge Village Retirement Community generously covered the cost of bringing the group to the Center.

Landes Fresh Meats, Inc. donated the homemade ice cream, Covered Wagon Farm Market  provided pies, and member Sandra Voyls made and decorated three cakes. One two-layer cake in the shape of the History Center was sold during the Silent Auction.

                           


Eighteen area businesses donated items for the Silent Auction, which raised $627 for the “15 for 15” Fund Drive. By all accounts the “Anniversary Gathering” was a rousing success.



Used Book, CD, and DVD Sale Nets $319 for “15 for 15”Fund

Thanks to everyone who donated used books and more for this fundraiser held on August 17. The photo shows workers Doris West and Wilma Schroeder sorting and placing books into boxes arranged on tables on the lower level of the History Center. Forty people came on sale day. We had hoped for more buyers, but there were several conflicting events going on that day. Those who came bought books by the box and bagful. Receipts for the day were $214.50. Marianne  Guess, RTHS member and owner of New and Olde Pages Book Shoppe in Englewood, came the following week and purchased $70.00 worth of titles for resale. Members bought an additional $34.50 in books before and after sale day to account for the grand total of $319.00. The leftover books will be given to another nonprofit organization (undetermined as of this date) or to the Goodwill store.


Meetings on 2nd Wednesdays - NOTE 7:00 p.m. Start Time

JUL 10 – 7:00p           Business/ Finalize plans for Anniversary Gathering

JUL 12 & 13               Brethren Bus Tour visits in afternoon each day

AUG 14 – 7:00p         Business/ Used Book Sale Preview Party

SEP 11 – 7:00p          Business/ History IQ Game

 

DON’T FORGET TO ATTEND THESE EVENTS

JUL 27 – 2:00a-4:00p            “ANNIVERSARY GATHERING” Come celebrate the  Society’s 15th anniversary and 5th year at the History Center at our “Old-Fashioned Ice Cream Social.” View the 1913 Flood exhibits and enjoy 1913-era music provided by Farmer Brown’s Barbershop Quartet. 

AUG 17 – 9:00a-4:00p            RTHS Used Book Sale, CDs, DVDs. Other items too.



RECENT HAPPENINGS AT THE RTHS HISTORY CENTER

Bus Tour arrives at the Center on April 25

Thirty-eight visitors from the Wegerzyn Garden Bus Tour stopped at the History Center on April 25. The participants, who were touring the Conservancy District, were welcomed by Glynn Marsh. They heard Sue Cummings give a short talk about the building of Englewood Dam and Morgan Place, and then viewed the exhibits about the 1913 Flood. Visitors generously left $25 in the donation jars, and several expressed interest in coming back to the Center at a later date. Organizer Beverly Friel said an additional donation to RTHS via check would be made by Wegerzyn Center.



Mill Ridge Village presents Check for $250
to RTHS for “15 for 15” Fund Drive

Genni King (left), Director of Mill Ridge Village and member of the RTHS Board, presented a check for $250 to RTHS during the June 12 meeting. The donation, for the “15 for 15” Fund Drive, was part of the monies Mill Ridge residents raised at their Flea Market/Garage Sale/ Bake Sale on June 6 and 7.  President Dick Weimer and Treasurer Glynn Marsh accepted the check for the Society, while some of the other members gathered on stage to show their appreciation. The Society earned $300.60 from sale of its items at the event, so a total of $550.60 was raised for the “15 for 15” Fund Drive.


RTHS History Lunch and Learn

REPORT ON “LUNCH AND LEARN”

FUNDRAISING EVENT

RTHS sponsored its first “Lunch and Learn” program from noon to 1:00 p.m. on February 21 at the History Center. Twenty-seven attended. Of twenty-two guests who registered for the $10.00 lunch, twelve were from area businesses including Aullwood, Englewood Florists, MainSource Bank, Mill Ridge Village, and New and Olde Pages Book Shoppe. Covered Wagon Farm Market in Union prepared the lunch and hot and cold beverages and chips were supplied by RTHS.

       

The history topic for the day was, “What’s in a Road Name?” Speaker Glynn Marsh discussed the origins of local road names using maps of Randolph Township dating from 1857 through 1933. Many audience members asked good questions during and following the talk. When Marsh asked who among the group would be interested in coming to a similar program on a different topic later in the year, the show of hands was unanimous. The Society will try to schedule another talk in the Fall. Thanks are due to members JoeAnne Conners, Sue Cummings, Bill Gothard, Genni King, and Doris West who helped with arrangements.

 

REPORT ON SCOTT TROSTEL’S 1913 FLOOD
TALK/BOOK-SIGNING
& GRAND-OPENING OF RTHS “Great 1913 Flood” EXHIBIT
RTHS HISTORY CENTER - MARCH 23, 2013 FROM 2-4 P.M.

What a great program! More than 120 RTHS members and guests came to the Center this day to hear Scott D. Trostel, historian and author from Fletcher, Ohio in Miami County, speak about the “1913 Flood in the Northern Miami Valley.” Trostel’s Powerpoint presentation featured newspaper headlines, maps, and photos that showed how residents of Sidney, Piqua, Troy, and Greenville suffered through and then learned to cope with the aftermath of the disastrous flood in the upper regions. Attendees came away with the knowledge that Daytonians were not the only people in the Miami Valley to experience the wrath of this 500-year flood. Trostel’s talk was followed by brisk sales of his two 1913 Flood books, And Through the Black Night of Terror, and Letters from the Attic.

       

This day also marked the grand-opening of the Society’s “Great 1913 Flood” exhibit that focuses on the humanitarian efforts of Randolph Township residents during and after the Flood.  The entire northeast display area on the Main Floor is devoted to previously unseen photos and narratives about these local heroes including Jacob Hoover, Jesse West, Levi Hoke, and Franklin Betz. The 1913 Flood Exhibit will be up all year at the History Center. It can be viewed on Saturday afternoons between the hours of 1 and 4 p.m. from April 6 through November 30.

Everyone enjoyed homemade refreshments provided after the program. Donations from non-members more than covered the speaker’s fee and other program costs. The large number of attendees is attributed to community interest in the 1913 Flood and to the great publicity the Society received, especially in the Englewood Independent and Dayton Daily News.


O. R. EDGINGTON THIRD-GRADERS
VISIT THE HISTORY CENTER ON OCT. 4, 2012

A highlight of October was when sixty-six third grade students from O. R. Edgington Elementary School, with four teachers, one parent, and principal Joe Johnston, visited the History Center to learn some Randolph Township history. Sue, Glynn, Martha, Wilma, Doris, and Kay served as hosts stationed in different sections of the museum. Students moved from one place to another at the ringing of a schoolteacher’s antique handbell. The students were very observant and asked many good questions.